Among Hindus, we believe that marriage is not perfect until a matchmaking is done. This is particularly true in an arranged marriage and hence, a large section of the Hindu population gives precedence to Matchmaking before solemnizing a marriage.
In such a scenario, there are two widely used methods of matchmaking in India. One is the Gun Milan, which considers 36 points covering 8 Kootas (aspects) which are various aspects of life such as love, compatibility, longevity which in a weighted average method gives the rating for the marriage. This method is widely used in the Northern, Eastern and Western parts of India.
The other famous method in astrology is that of Porutham. This method is used in the Southern Parts of India. In this, 10 different aspects of two horoscopes are compared. Mainly this includes the longevity, emotional compatibility, progeny, prosperity, Sexual compatibility and few more points. Therefore, these ten points are tabled and then ratings are given to each of these 10 points.
In the Porutham based matchmaking, the Janma Nakshatra of the girl and the boy is given importance. Thus, the following are the 10 points which are considered in porutham matchmaking.
- Dina Porutham: In a Dhina Porutham, the emotional compatibility of the two horoscopes are taken into consideration. If the Janma Nakshatra of the boy, counted from that of the Girls ends as 2,4,6,8,9,11,13,15,18,20,22, 26 and 27 are considered Uttamam which signifies ultimate.
Similarly, if you count, except the 3rd Quarter in the 16th Nakshatra or the 4th Quarter in the 14th Nakshatra or except 1st Quarter in the 12th nakshatra, from the position of the natal chart, it is considered Madhyam which signifies mediocre.
All other match is not considered to be favourable.
- Gana Porutham: The Gana Porutham considers the temperament of the boy and girl in consideration and then evaluates the compatibility of the two horoscopes. The Gana Porutham is divided into three groups. (a) Deva Ganam (b) Manushya Ganam and lastly (c) Rakshasa Ganam.
As we know there are 27 stars in total. Each of them is divided into the above three categories and then matched accordingly. In this, the one in Deva Ganam are considered good in nature. The Manushya are considered Mixed in nature, with good and bad qualities. And lastly, the Rakshasa Ganam is considered to be the one having least of the good qualities. They are outspoken and at times harsh in behaviour. Now, the native of Deva and Manushya ganam can be matched. But, the native of Rakshasa ganam should be matched with non-other than Rakshasa ganam itself.
- Mahendra Porutham: This Porutham is mainly considered for Children and Prosperity. Also, the male member who will be the husband will have the capability to protect the wife and the children. Here, if the Boys nakshatra will fall as the 4ht, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, 19th, 22nd and 25th from that of the Girl’s nakshatra, then the compatibility for Mahendra Porutham is good.
- Sthree Dheerkam Porutham: This Porutham brings Financial prosperity to the bride-groom if considered the alliance. Here, If the boy’s nakshatra exceeds the count of 13 from the count of the girl, then the porutham is considered Uttamam which is auspicious.
- Yoni Porutham:
Yoni Porutham is considered for sexual compatibility. Here, match the boy as male yoni and girl’s as female Yoni for excellent sexual compatibility. If both boy and girl has Male yoni, then the match is Madhyam else, no match.
- Rasi Porutham: When the rashi of the boy and the girl is that same, or if the rashi of the boy is greater than the 6th rashi of the girl, then the match is considered Uttamam.
On the other hand, if the boys rashi falls as the 3rd or 4th the match is Madhyam which is average. But, if the Rashi falls as 2nd or 5th or 6th and 8th from the that of the girls, then the match is not considered to be good. Since, if the Rashi falls as 3rd then considered bringing sorrow, if 4th then considered bringing Poverty, if 2nd, 6th, 8th or 12th, then ill efforts will prevail and finally if 5th then misfortune is likely to occur in the family. The most ideal rashi should be the 7th from that of the Girls.
- Rasi athipathi Porutham:
Here the Rashi lord should be Friends or at least Neutral for Uttamam Match.
|Sun||Moon, Mars and Jupiter||Saturn, Rahu and Ketu||Mercury|
|Moon||Sun and Mercury||Rahu and Ketu||Mars, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn|
|Mars||Sun, Moon, Jupiter||Mercury, Rahu and Ketu||Venus and Saturn|
|Jupiter||Sun, Moon and Mars||Mercury and Venus||Saturn, Rahu and Ketu|
|Saturn||Vennu, Mercury, Rahu and Ketu||Sun, Moon and Mars||Jupiter|
|Mercury||Sun and Venus||Moon||–|
|Venus||Mercury, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu||Sun and Moon||Mars and Jupiter|
- Vasiya Porutham:
Here, if the boy’s rashi is Vasiya to that of girl’s rashi then the match is Uttamam. If girl’s rashi is Vaisya to that of Boy, then considered to be Madhyam. Else there is no match. The following table will be helpful.
|Vrishika Rishabh (Taurus)||Kadakam, Tulam|
|Kadakam (Cancer)||Vrichikam, thanusu|
|Kanni (Virgo)||Rishabam, Meenam|
|Vrichikam (Scorpio)||Kadakam, Kann|
- Rajju Porutham:
|Sirasu Rajju||Kanda Rajju (neck)||Uthara Rajju (Stomach)||Thodia Rajju (leg)||Patha (foot)|
|Chitra||Hasta||Uttar Phalguni||Purva Phalguni||Magha|
|Dhanishta||Sharavana||Uttara Ashadha||Purva Ashadha||Moola|
|Shatabisha||Purva Bhadrapada||Uttra Bhadrapada||Revati|
In the Porutham series, the Rajju Porutham is the most important, as it be believed that if there is no Rajju Porutham, then no match.
It is believed that no two horoscopes should be of the same Rajju. If so then the following is the danger.
- If both the Nakshatras are of the same Sirasu Rajju: then husband will meet an early death.
- If both the nakshatra are of same Kanda Rajju: then the wife will meet an die early death.
- If both the nakshatra are of Uthara Rajju, then Putra Dosha (no Children) will be the effect.
- If both the nakshatras of Thodia Rajju, then there will be loss of Property.
- Finally if both the nakshatra of Patha Rajju, then dangers from travelling.
- Vethai Porutham:
Here, if the Boys nakshatra becomes Vedha to that of the Girls or Vise versa, then do not match.
The list is given below.
|Purva Phalguni||Uttara Ashadha|
|Uttar Phalguni||Purva Ashadha|
Apart from the above 10 porutham, one must consider the position of Ascendant or the lagna of the male and female horoscope. If they are 6 and 8th to each other then a Shadashtak dosha will be formed. This is again not good.
Followed by Dasha Sandhi dosha, where the mahadasha of the Boy and Girls should have at least a gap of 1.5 years to each other. Else, early death, due to sufferings is possible.
Thus, the readers are advised to consider all the above and then form an inference of the matchmaking. If looking for alliance match-making, then please consult an expert and then processed for the same.
[Disclaimer: The above write up is merely to give a glimpse to the reader. If trying to match any horoscope, please do not venture into the same if you are a beginner. For any comments you can write to me at Vedicastroservice@gmail.com]